Thursday, November 29, 2007

tip of the hat 2003

Une petite histoire qui va avec les photos du Peugeot fixé posté l'autre jour!
David

Archive-URL: http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=internet-bob.10303.1488.eml
From: "Grant, Jon"
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:13:33 -0600
Subject: [BOB] A Tip of the Hat to David Desmet

A Fixed Gear Success Story:

I had been trying unsuccessfully to convince my wife Cheryl that she should
try riding a fixed-gear bike, if only for the novelty of it. Her words tell
the story well, I think.

Ten years ago: "Are you nuts? It doesn't even coast! Coasting's the best
part of riding!"

Five years ago: "I understand you like it, Honey, but I don't think it's for
me."

6 months ago: "Can you guarantee I won't die if I ride it?"

Two weeks ago, after reading iBOB David Desmet's account of his first days
on his fixed Peugeot: "Okay, okay. Let's do it."

After three rides on the fixie I built on an old Trek 760: "Can you put
yellow handlebar tape on this bike? I like yellow. Oh, and you can sell my
gear bike. I won't be needing it anymore."

I think David's account of his joyous first fixed-gear rides pushed her over
the edge. Now I have two fixies in the house, each of which has been
appropriated by someone else. I guess I'll need a third fixie. But, no, I'm
not selling Cheryl's Specialized Rock Combo just yet.

Jon "Papa" Grant, who wonders if wonders will ever cease

_______________________________________________
Internet-bob mailing list
Internet-bob(AT)bikelist.org
search and browse the archives: http://search.bikelist.org
unsubscribe:
http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob

No comments: